What is SSL certificates
- A browser requests a secure page.
- The web server sends its public key with its certificate.
- A browser checks that the certificate was issued by the trusted party.
- The browser then uses the public key, to encrypt a random symmetric encryption key and sends it to the server with the encrypted URL required as well as other encrypted HTTP data.
- The web server decrypts the symmetric encryption key using its private key and uses the symmetric key to decrypt the URL and HTTP data.
- The web server sends back the requested HTML document and HTTP data encrypted with the symmetric key.
- The browser decrypts the HTTP data and HTML document using the symmetric key and displays the information.